Saturday, October 11, 2008

Monday, September 15, 2008
Salsa!!!

Well my first attempt at canning was a success.
Last week my mom-in-law taught me how to make her awesome salsa. By the way, I took all the pictures with my new 50mm lens. My wonderful husband bought it for me. It has an f-stop of 1.8. It is so fun.

Thanks to my dad, who is insane enough to plant 82 tomato plants each year, I had more than enough to make the one batch, I planned on making. As the first batch was cooking, Becky and I said, what the heck lets make another. As we wrapped up the first batch and looked at the mound of tomatoes left, we said were crazy, lets do another. Since it takes each batch 3 hours to cook. Becky left the last one up to me. I was able to can it all by my self with no problems. I can't help but feel successful.

After simmering 3 batches of tasty salsa, my house stunk and I stunk. Salsa is so tasty but can leave a nauseating smell. I even apologized, for how I smelled, to the lady at the grocery store. She was like, "I wondered what that smell was." Thanks a lot. I guess it really was that bad. My house smelled for days.

I am so excited to be able to say that I know how to can. I grew up always watching my mom can every thing under the sun. I guess I never really payed attention to how to do it. My job in the whole canning process was draining the corn so my dad could cut it of the cob, shelling peas, and snapping green beans. You know the very "important" jobs.

I have been trying really hard to concentrate on my food storage and now that I have a house big enough to store it. I am all out of excuses. So if something bad was to happen, my family will be eating flour, sugar, rice, corn, tomato soup, oats, dry milk, and now salsa. Sounds yummy! I guess a little at a time, right!

No comments: